Guide  |  Building CodesFinancial Options  | Well Drilling  | Home


Who needs a building permit? Anyone building or remodeling anything that involves electrical, plumbing, mechanical (heating and air conditioning), roofing and structural work may need a permit, according to Verl Curtis, Chaffee County building inspector in Salida.
Examples of projects which do not require permits are small one-story accessory buildings such as tool sheds, fences not over six feet high, platforms, walks and drives which are not over 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below, painting, papering and similar finish work.
Fees for building permits vary, depending on the project and whether it is new or remodeled.
The Chaffee County Building Inspector’s Office also does inspections for building and remodeling projects in all of the municipalities and towns in the county.
Zoning within the municipalities, however, remains in the hands of municipal governments. Zoning is more involved with the location and type of structure than with the actual work involved. For example, when someone wants to build or relocate a business, it would not be permitted in a residential area. Another example is a mobile home which might not be allowed in a certain part of town.
For information on specific projects, visit the building inspector’s office on the second floor of the Chaffee County Courthouse in Salida. Hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. The telephone number is (719) 539-2124.
For access to information for construction of a home, codes and utilities in Leadville, contact the planning and zoning department, (719) 486-2092. The Lake County Building Department can be reached by calling (719) 486-2875. For Lake County Land Use call (719) 486-1796.